Attendant Console is an optional extension application to Nimbus that allows you to handle incoming calls like a front-desk operator. The main goal is to attend to Nimbus caller needs more directly and personally , e.g. in a Call Transfer scenario, forwarding them to a target of your choice.
Before you start
- Attendant Console is a separately licensed Nimbus Feature and enabled via User Administration. After the license is applied to your user account, an "Attendant Console" entry becomes available in your main menu.
- You need to be part of at least one Nimbus service in order for Attendant Console to show as an option.
✅ User Permissions: t Console will check and ask for consent to Required User Permissions on your behalf . These permissions allow Attendant Console to read calendars details, IM presence as well as your user directory for searching. Permissions are managed in your User Preferences (Portal).
On first startup Attendant Console will not show a lot of content to you, so we'll demonstrate some features on this example screenshot. Refer to the chapters below for further infos.
Call Queue & Service selection
The queue lists incoming customer calls of all your services. You can directly impact your queue via the "On/Off" Active toggle for the respective service.
- The service toggle functionality has the same effect as toggling the status in the "My Overview" or "My Services" Nimbus tabs respectively. Your team owners can also set this toggle for you, with immediate effect.
- Note that you can only take calls when your Attendant State (See below) widget is shown as "Active" (green).
- When being part of - and active (green) for - multiple services, the Queue items are accumulated or removed in real-time, always sorted by "longest waiting" callers.
The Queue has a call-context feature that ties into the Microsoft Power Automate Connector of Nimbus to retrieve additional caller information. The amount and content of fields shown varies depending on which data (e.g. CRM System, Active Directory) is available to Nimbus.
The top row of Attendant Console consists of a set of status widgets to help inform you about the most important metrics on your current call.
Description / Purpose
Numerical representation of callers in Queue.
💡 Entries in the queue are directly impacted by your "enabled" toggle in the team selection.
|Shows the highest waiting time entry in the Incoming Call Queue at a glance.
Shows Service Line info depending on your call state:
🔍 Their use and status changes are explained during Call Handling.
Displays Info during an active call. Changes states to either:
When Idle: displays "No Conversation / No Data"
💡 As there can be two ongoing simultaneous calls (e.g. Call-park scenario) this widget will focus on the call with the external customer.
Shows if you are in a "Selectable" User State for calls. Works like "Green / Red" signal.
✅ Preconditions for a green status are as follows:
Allows you to "enable" yourself for call selection in one or several teams.
🔍 More details on this UI element can be found below.
The conversation hub is the central area to handle your calls. The hub is split in 3 sections to display your current incoming caller state:
- Incoming - to signal any incoming tasks distributed to you (automatically) by Nimbus Workflows. 💡 Incoming calls will ring alongside in your MS Teams Client.
- Active - your current task or conversation. You can use call controls to handle your active callers → See below.
Park - a spot to park calls. In most scenarios this is used to park a calling customer while you consult someone from the contact search. You can use call controls to handle your parked callers → See below.
An example task being handled in the conversation hub
Each area in the hub has individual, context-sensitive call controls which show depending on your call situation:
|Switches the caller positions between "Active" to the "On Hold" area
|Merges the Call into a conference between all participants.
|Ends the call or any active task.
|Puts the caller from the "Active" to the "Park" area.
Accept / Decline
External Task Instant Message (Private Preview)
GOOD TO KNOW
- Certain controls such as merge or switch may appear in both the "Active" as well as "Park" section of the conversation hub. Both have the same function of merging or switching the Active/Park entries respectively.
- Note that not all call controls are visible at all times. Some become enabled or visible in context, e.g. when you handle a parked caller, search for a contact or only if the target supports the according modality (online, available, uses phone or teams, etc.).
- Some actions within the conversation hub can be controlled via drag & drop as an alternative method to clicking the controls.
The contact search lists and stores your call targets during ongoing conversations . By default the contact search and list is empty and shows entries as you start typing.
- Search features heavily rely on your Required User Permission consent. 💡t Console will automatically check and ask for these permissions if not granted already.
- The Search also relies on your internal O365 directory fields and Nimbus-managed Address Books which are kept in the Administration backend . If you discover missing or false user details in the search, contact your service or tenant administrator.
The search features the following UI elements:
Contacts (Live Search)
Searching for Users
By default you can search by Name and Job Title as displayed in the result columns below the search field. The list of entries narrows down as you type.
Applying Fields to filter search results
You can also apply filters to narrow down huge lists by clicking "Select Fields" . 🔍 Also see " Source" column description in the table below to see which fields are supported.
Field search rely on the fields provided by your user directories attached to Nimbus.
Searching for PSTN Numbers
You can use the search field also to call unknown numbers or by entering a valid SIP-address. However, in such cases the call actions may be limited.
Search via PSTN number
Searching for Services
You can search for Nimbus services and list up to 8 available team members of that service. Works for both MS-Teams-based or standalone Skill-based services.
✅ Precondition: Services only show team members when the " Team Visibility in Attendant Console" in the Tenant Administration is set accordingly. Otherwise you may not see any team details or only those of your own services.
🔍 Visit Attendant Settings to learn more about each option.
Attendant can be customized to your needs by accessing the settings, right next to the search field.
💡 Settings are stored for your currently logged-in user and will not affect other Attendant Console users.
Search Result Columns
The contact search lists the following table columns:
Displays the source directory / team / service behind the corresponding contact in form of an icon:
Note that not all fields are supported by each source.
Show fields supported by Nimbus user search
Fields covered by Nimbus user search
(and Presence State Icon)
💡 For single Contacts:
You canmouse-hover over a contact avatar to get more information. Clicking on the avatar shows the organizational structure with manager and peers.
💡 For Services:
Mouse over a service to get information. Click on the service avatar to see service team members and their status.
|Resolved clear user or service name for the identified contact.
|Displays additional fields such as Email, IM, Department if provided via the user directory.
|Provides a job title field, if provided via your tenant user directory.
|Allows you to take notes. See → Contact Notes chapter below.
|Most popular transfer targets
Not always shown. Changes automatically based on "Incoming" calls in the conversation hub.
💡 If no targets are shown, the caller hasn't been registered before
Actions relate in context of your currently "Active" call in the conversation hub e.g. an action "transfers" the current caller to the selected contact in your search or sends a Message with call details.
💡 If an action cannot be used by the corresponding contact - or is not applicable for the current call situation - controls are disabled for that entry.
Safe Transfer to this contact.
→ Your current caller will remain in call with you until connected.
🤔 Why are certain Contact Actions disabled? If no "Busines phone" or "Mobile phone" numbers are registered for the contact in Azure AD, the transfer to phone actions are disabled. Nimbus can only detect numbers registered via Azure AD, not Teams-internally assigned Line URIs.
☝ This is the default state for Teams Auto Attendants and Call Queues. If you require these to be reachable via Blind Transfer, then you will need to add at least one number to their Azure AD account. Also refer to the known limitations below.
☝ To avoid lost calls in any transfer scenario, please carefully consider known limitations as well.
✅ License requirements
Any of the following licenses apply:
Blind Transfer to this contact.
☝ A blind transfer may be lost and not returned to you. This is also the case if the contact is not responding or taking the call to voicemail.
Consultation Call to this contact. You can swap between clients and merge the conference session.
→ In the meantime, your original Caller is put into "Park" position, listening to waiting music.
Call To this contact. Unlike a Consultation Call this does not create a conference.
→ You can only speak to either the Caller (Customer) or your Contact from the search.
Send IM / Connect via MS Teams.
💡 The template selection (during a call) determines what language will be used to prefill a Mail or IM message for your contact.
Example: IM template language selection
Example Mail template with caller details
Send Email to the contact.
Calendar of the contact to inspect.
🔍 Only shown when an exchange calendar was found.
If the contact does not have an Exchange license the calendar functionality is disabled.
✅ Exchange license and user permission requirements
To inspect a contact's calendar the following requirements must be met:
|Add to Favorite Contacts. Contact entries of your choice are "pinned" in the "Favorites" group future calls.
Adding a contact to favorites group
🔍 Good to Know: You can also use the Attendant Settings to define further contact groups to sort and display user in.
Within the Contact Search you are able to take notes on individual contacts.
Notes on contacts
- You are able to pick between 3 different types of Notes: Standard, 🔍 Info and ☝ Warning.
💡 This choice is cosmetic and merely impacts the look and feel of the note when being clicked upon.
- The note "title" field will be shown in the "Note" column first. When "title" is not defined, the contents are shown instead.
- Clicking on any existing note allows you inspect detail contents and edit / delete the note.
Tip: You can also search for note contents by selecting the field / filter in the Contact Search:
- Notes are publicly shared with other Attendant Console users on your tenant. → Keep in mind that potentially private information could be exposed in this way.
- Deleted notes cannot be restored. → A confirmation dialog is shown prior to note deletion. Removing a note will remove that information for all other Attendant Console users as well.
- Every Attendant Console user has the same rights to read and edit notes. → Changes on notes are immediately visible with no history-record, authentication or undo-function. We advise to keep sensitive customer or contact information outside of notes.
KNOWN ATTENDANT CONSOLE LIMITATIONS
- Audio Video Calls from Interact taken via Attendant Console will not support blind transfer.
- Audio Video Calls from Interact taken via Attendant Console will not support pickup.
- Audio Video Calls from Interact taken via Attendant Console will not support transfer to voicemail.
TRANSFER TO PSTN LIMITATION
Out-of-the-box, Nimbus and affiliated addons can only perform PSTN transfers according to Microsoft's licensing and constraints.
Which PSTN license do I need to acquire?
✅ As a tenant administrator you need to acquire the following licenses and assign them to the application instance of the respective Nimbus SOURCE service (team) that will act as PSTN transferor:
|"Microsoft Teams Phone Resource Account"
"Microsoft Teams Phone Resource Account"
+ "Microsoft Teams Domestic Calling Plan" or "Microsoft Teams Domestic and International Calling Plan" or "Microsoft Teams Calling Plan pay-as-you-go"+ "Communication Credits" (if these aren't already included as part of your plan)
|"Microsoft Teams Phone Resource Account"
☝ As of 2023 "Microsoft Teams Phone Standard" licences are no longer supported by Microsoft. Previously those licenses were viable for Nimbus. → Regardless if you are using Direct Routing, Calling Plans, Operator Connect - the "Microsoft Teams Phone Resource Account" license is now always required.
☝ Please note that Luware staff cannot make recommendations on which license plan is best suited for your needs. Depending on your scenario, additional Teams App licenses may be required. Exact details are to be discussed with your Microsoft contacts.
How does PSTN licensing affect Service and Call Transfers?
Assuming that Service A has a PSTN license assigned - but further Services don't - the following scenario may unfold:
☝ Note that handling and tracking of running cost for PSTN licenses is outside of Luware support scope.
If you require assistance in extending and/or configuring your Nimbus services for PSTN our support will gladly assist you:
TRANSFER TO TEAMS-NATIVE AUTO ATTENDANTS AND CALL QUEUES
Nimbus does currently not support direct transfers via Blind transfer, Safe transfer, or Consultation Call to either UPN or PSTN numbers of Teams-native Auto Attendants and Call Queues. Any such transfer or consultation attempt will lead to the call being aborted.
Causes and Workarounds
Causes and Workarounds
This is caused by Microsoft Teams limitations with regards to what voice applications (such as Call Queues, Auto Attendants, and Nimbus) are allowed to do, and cannot be circumvented by Nimbus.
💡 A possible workaround would be to force the call over your Direct Routing SBC by using an internal dummy number that isn't otherwise associated with any other Teams user or service already. This call would then be routed to your SBC, which can then re-direct it towards the actual number of the Call Queue / Auto Attendant on the Teams side again. As this workaround is dependent on voice infrastructure components outside of Luware's control and support scope, please reach out to your SBC provider or skilled personnel for its implementation.
💡 The above-mentioned workaround is not technically feasible if you are using Microsoft Calling Plans or Operator Connect to provision numbers directly through Teams. Forcing an external reroute as a workaround is not possible with these number